September 25, 2012

Elephant and Piggie SAY WHAT?





Can I just tell you how much my kids this year LOVE writing in speech bubbles????? One of the big books we read during the first week of school used speech bubbles and ever since my kiddos have been adding speech bubbles to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they write.  So.....I decided to take their interest in speech bubbles and run with it!!!!! We spent last week reading Elephant and Piggie books and learning why Elephant and Piggie are such great friends.  On Friday my kiddos were beside themselves when they learned they were going to make their very own Elephant and Piggie!!!!!   Let me just say you could hear a pin drop while my kiddos were perfecting these adorable little characters! If you would like the template, directions, and speech bubble for Elephant and Piggie you can get them here

                                                       
The follow up to our art projects of course was the creation of  speech bubbles on why Elephant and Piggie are such good friends.
Top Left:  You are a good friend because you share with me. 
Top Right:  You are a good friend because you pick apples with me.
Bottom Left:  Piggie you are a good friend because you share your toys.
Bottom Right:  You are my friend because you help me. 
 
Everyone did a great job on writing what made Elephant and Piggie good friends.  These examples are of the various levels of writing students are using in my classroom.   
 
One of our next lessons in writing will be on the difference between Wif and With.  :)
 

We Are in a Book! (Elephant and Piggie Series)My Friend Is Sad (Elephant and Piggie Series)I Love My New Toy! (Elephant and Piggie Series)

Here are just a few of the Elephant and Piggie Books we read last week.  I also used this link to the "Elephant and Piggie" activity guide for teachers. 
 
Did you know that Mo Willems hides a Pigeon in every Elephant and Piggie book?  You can usually find Pigeon in the back cover of each book!  Once your kiddos know this you will  NOT be able to move to the next activity after reading an Elephant and Piggie book until you find the Pigeon, not even if  you have read the book 5 times. 


~Alison







0 comments:

Post a Comment